Sunday, June 2, 2019

New York Accent

Did you know that the distinct accent you hear from some native New Yorkers was begun in the Bowery?  It was developed by a group of men to set themselves off from other groups.  They wore a distinct type of clothing too. They called themselves "The Bowery Boys."  They came about in the late 18th and then  early19th century when New York City was pretty much lower Manhattan, named such from an Indian tribe living there.  Bowery is derived from a Dutch word for "farm."  The Bowery Boys certainly were not well to do, and the accent migrated to the Bronx and Brooklyn bye and bye.  I am a Bronx boy and still have some of the accent when I get excited.  The Bowery Boy Hollywood movies of the 1930s had nothing to do with the real Bowery Boys who were adult men.  Whenever I hear this accent it is makes me feel a little bit of home.  I wonder if this patois will be heard in heaven?  Does God speak New York Bowery?  It would give me a leg up for getting into heaven.  I am holding onto my accent just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment