Saturday, June 1, 2019

Peanut Gallery

As a kid, I watched the "Howdie Doodie" show on daytime TV.  They referred to the kids in the audience as" the peanut gallery."  But they did not eat peanuts.  So why that term?  It goes back to the Bowery Street Theaters in 19th century New York City.  The poor folks all sat together, just like kids did at the Howdie Doodie show.  The rabble of lower class people drank beer and ate peanuts during the performance.  They did not dress as well as the upper class, nor were they as quiet.  The lower class were referred to as "The Peanut Gallery."  I try not to pigeon hole people as a class or type.  Each person is unique and a special gift in my life to teach me or challenge me, to grow to be a better person myself.  I don't give them a name, such as, "poor," "dumb," "ugly," or "worthless."  But when I buy the cheapest seat in the house and can barely see the actors, much less their expressions, I do feel like I am in the "peanut gallery."  But no peanuts.  Does anyone remember the "Howdie Doodie" TV show? Quiz.  Name of the Clown? The Princess?

1 comment:

  1. Clarabelle - later to become Captain Kangaroo
    Princess SummerFallWinterSpring (that's the order I recall, tho maybe not quite correct)

    ReplyDelete