Thursday, June 27, 2019

The Cook

When I am in Boulder, Colorado I live in a rectory in which the cook speaks Spanish.  My understanding and speaking Spanish is terrible.  The cook is an opportunity for me to practice not so much my Spanish, as resentment or humility.  I try to opt for humility, because it diminishes my ego.  When it comes to Spanish, I am but a dummy.  I am out of my league and vulnerable to not knowing what is going on.  The other priests speak fluently.  I have self-centered fears about being less, not having control and so on.  Our cook is a blessing in my life.  Whenever I am full of myself, big ego and all, pompous and self-centered, all I have to do is walk into our rectory any weekday and be reminded of my shortcomings and my need for help.  This keeps me right-sized.  Oh, and if you have issues with Spanish try, traductor as an app on your smartphone.  Write in English and it simultaneously translates into Spanish.  But it seems like it quits after about 50 words, so it is no good for homilies, unless you are going to preach a 50 word homily.  No priest does that!

No comments:

Post a Comment