Saturday, September 14, 2019

Sandy

Well yesterday, I posted on Facebook, my big ego notification with photo, of six loaves of whole wheat bread, with cinnamon and honey.  All the monks looked forward to eating the fresh baked bread.  I was full of pride with my good deed.  Then the disaster.  Eating the bread felt like eating some sand, though the bread had an otherwise good taste, and good outside look.  What is this gritty stuff?  It turns out that the sign on the storage bin said "FLOUR and GLUTEN."  The recipe called for some gluten.  There were only two containers in the store bin.  One clearly said "Flour."  So the other must be gluten, right? Wrong.  It was sand, and I did not bother to check it out with a monk who might have some history of that bin.  The bread looked good on the outside, but had sand on the inside.  I had to throw out all six loaves that I spent the morning baking.  So embarrassed and deflated, and stupid.  I have to go join the Foreign Legion.  That what it is for, people who mess up.  Is it still around?  My ego is seriously deflated as is my reputation as a baker.  People are laughing.  So maybe we all make mistakes and just have to carry on.  I often say that it is the insides that are important and not the outside look.  I will work on my sandy insides.  Well...off to the Foreign Legion.

2 comments:

  1. I looked into the foreign legion, Father Ryan, and am glad I decided not to go. ;) I realized I already had a tribe, if you will, who was even more accepting. My experience was akin to yours, and years later I wouldn't trade it for the world. I was gifted with deeper friendships, an opportunity to become closer to others and now a really funny story to share & laugh about. I hope the same for you! Just so you know, your tribe needs you to stay here with us. We love you and "this too shall pass".

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I did laugh at first. And then thought about the remorse or shame or failure you may have felt. But this episode just endears you to us, your friends. We know who you are. That you admit your mistake openly is so refreshing and it let's us be insiders to your journey. I volunteer to taste anything you bake as look as I can gag or 'mmm and laugh along with you.

    ReplyDelete