Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Sunday

I read that Sunday is now the top shopping day in the country, save for some holiday season Saturdays.  The original purpose of Sunday being a day to do nothing came from the Sabbath idea in the bible.  God meant the Sabbath as a day set aside to remind the people of their liberation from slavery.  Slaves had no days off.  Sundays seem to be very busy now with driving family around to various  events, shopping, and getting all kinds of stuff done.  It is not a day of doing nothing.  And it requires that some people work on Sundays so that all this can happen.  I recall that when I was a kid, I might sit around but my Mom did not get the day off.  She cooked a big Sunday roast dinner which we ate in mid-afternoon.  Evenings we were on our own to get something from the fridge, so I guess my Mom got an Evening Sabbath.  Like many people I do stuff on Sunday (Church services) but I try not to make the day "slavish."  Get some restful time but this often means someone else is working so I can get this restful time.  Someone might cook Sunday dinner and invite me.  The ballet company is working and so is the symphony.  I can only hope they enjoy what they are doing.  Maybe they get a mid-week Sabbath time?  How is you're Sunday?  Oh, my Mom, the great cook, died this day in 2003.  I miss the roasts...and my Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment