Friday, September 27, 2019

The God Pill

I try not to help people by telling them they have to take the "God Pill."  Any pill comes from outside yourself, has a magic power to make you feel better, be well, and all you do is swallow it.  People in fox holes take god pills.  They suddenly decide to believe so that some magic from outside themselves will fix them up and save them from doom.  The god pill is temporary.  Doom passes and with it faith.  I talk to people who are at wits end, telling them about an energy that I discovered was inside me all the time, but somehow I was disconnected from its power to help me become a better, happier and freer person.  I tell them that I discovered this energy within me through, one, meditation, two, a personal advisor on a path of learning to live free of a bondage to self-will run riot, and three,  trying to be useful to others.  I try to live this way on a daily basis.  Faith in a deity is optional.  It certainly is not the beginning of the process.  Faith at the beginning would be only an affirmation.  There would be no action, no plan, no guide, no practice.  Plenty of believers are at that stage.  My God is gentle, courteous, and sometimes quite hidden, but always within.  Trust and hope are important.

No comments:

Post a Comment