Tuesday, September 24, 2019

What Changes?

Sometimes when people get into a spiritual path or recovery program, they think that their life will become easier.  Their spiritual path, tool kit of recovery, will click in on a daily basis and their difficulties will disappear.  Not so, I have found.  What changes is me, not the circumstances of life around me.  I grow up and have better tools, emotional sobriety, people to help advise me, and such so that I can handle life's situations better.  Health issues, financial issues, bosses, work issues, rush hour traffic, partner issues do not just disappear, but I don't have to go to pieces over any of them on a daily basis.  And if I need to make a change, I begin with me, and then if more is needed, I have guidance from new friendships, wise and balanced people in my life, and my own spiritual practice to give me the courage and compassion to make the change.  I try to begin with me each day.  Otherwise, I will just whine, complain, and be full of useless self-pity about the world around me, and make no adult decisions to do much of anything.

1 comment:

  1. When we reflect on our troubles, unfulfilled desires and failures it is I, me and my of the ego bemoaning this life. When we compare our situation with the helpless and hopeless state of many other people, however, life seems better than we thought.

    ReplyDelete