Thursday, November 11, 2021

A Great Place!

 Yesterday was the Feast of St. Leo the Great.  No big deal, right?  Even for Catholics.  But for me it is a big deal because it was the name of the most fun parish, and my first parish out of the seminary, a new priest.  I was not very holy, nor professional.  I cried at the gravesides of two children I buried.  But back to the fun.  We had a parish bowling league and a parish softball league and lots of parties.  Lots of young families and kids everywhere.  I partied too much and prayed too little, making good friends along the way.  The people taught me what was important to them even if I did not do it well.  I was terrible at church services, recreating my own liturgies.  Houston climate can be punishing but with friends and fun it became a magical place.  I cried when I left.  Not very professional.  Now I am at the monastery, years later, seeing if I can get holy.  But I still think I would prefer fun with friends.  I will burn.   

2 comments:

  1. In my heart, I would always take love and emotions over a "professional" nature. That type of relationship is a shoulder to shoulder experience, someone who can walk through grief and joy with you. Your beautiful heart is part of you, and I for one hope you don't become too "professional". :) With love, hugs and gratitude across the miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we think we’re just standing still,
    one day we get up that hill,
    in the age of miracles, there’s one on the way

    ReplyDelete