Tuesday, November 2, 2021

What?

Whenever someone says something to me, and I respond with, "What?" I know that I am not listening.  I hear the sounds, but I am not listening to the words or meaning.  If I don't learn to listen, then I will never get to listening to learn.  There is a lot to be learned by listening, but first I have to listen.  If the teacher in class were to ask me a question and I responded with, "What?" my score was going down the drain with that professor.  If the professor were to start out by saying, "Mr. Ryan, etc. etc." I would perk up when I heard my name and then listen to the question.  But some professors would trick me by saying the question first and then calling my name at the end.  I would try for an escape by saying, "I did not understand the question."  Usually made things worse.  Over the years a spiritual practice has helped.  I try to BE HERE NOW.  I have learned a lot by becoming a better listener.  But there is still the occasional, "What?" 

1 comment: