Monday, March 28, 2022

My Church

 Today is my birthday.  I am pushing hard against the end of a decade in my life.  I reflect back on my Catholic Grade School and its gift in my early life.  However it was done in the Bronx, my religion was passed on to me both in my head and my heart.  Yes, I received Catechism, doctrine and rules for my head.  I remember them still.  But I received a faith, a way of life, that went to my heart and this is what keeps me on the spiritual journey, at the heart level.  I find today that there are many people, Catholic school people who did not get much for the heart.  They drifted off and are not on much of a spiritual journey with any transforming depth.  I have met a few people who say they are “in recovery” from some addiction, but it is not much more than knowing a few steps and avoiding their addictive substance.  It is recovery of the head.  The heart stays wounded and hungers for love, both the giving and the receiving of it.  

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday Father Ryan! I'm so thankful for you, your heart, your wisdom and your blog. I look forward to it every morning and the light you share. I am thankful as well for the Grace my program has allowed me with meditation and prayer. To paraphrase pg. 97, those who make regular use of these would no more do without it than we would refuse air, food or sunshine. I believe you're a light of these and am happy you share it with the rest of us. What a gift! With gratitude and hugs across the miles. :)

    ReplyDelete