Sunday, March 12, 2023

Chasity

 Chastity for its own sake makes no sense.  Chastity has to serve some larger, other purpose.  Chastity deals with and faces some very strong human, often unconscious urges.  I cannot spend all my energy trying to bridle these energies.  I must devote energy to some purpose that chastity can serve.  That greater purpose for me is the desire for union, non-duality with God as I awaken to the Presence.  The God I seek has given all.  So I want to give all of me, and this includes my body.  It is called, "Purity of Heart" in some circles.  It is not that urges cease to arise.  We are human.  But this greater purpose, this Love, if you will, sees the urge as an opportunity for surrender, giving over the all of oneself in desire for union.  Without the solitude of prayer, the relationship cannot become real and central.  And I will just be a wannabe.  

2 comments:

  1. jkelly@bvmsisters/orgMarch 12, 2023 at 2:28 PM

    Another way to think of it is to free oneself from the responsiblity and time one would devote to marriage and family in order to concentrate on the wellbeing of God's other creations.

    ReplyDelete