Thursday, March 23, 2023

Listen

 The heart is always in prayer.  It is where God seems to dwell in the silence when I am so busy with other stuff.  How do I become aware of this ongoing prayer?  I have to learn to listen with the "ear of the heart."  This is why I tend to read a small part of the bible, my spiritual big book, very slowly, maybe a sentence of two.  And when I feel the nudge, I stop the slow reading and rest in the quiet, the growing stillness and silence.  The same sensation may come with some spiritual reading, not the bible.  I am not reading fast to finish the book or article.  I start out reading to know something, but then the knowing switches from my head to my heart when I feel the urge to stop and rest with a word or sentence.  Then I may close my eyes and rest in the moment, sensing a Presence, a Love, that is always within and now makes itself known.  The inner silence speaks to the heart and I am filled up all over.  

2 comments:

  1. This is so powerful and I'm so thankful your heart just taught mine. I appreciate you so very much Father Ryan
    (aka almost birthday boy! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for this description of prayer from (or in) the heart.. I have had this experience sometimes w/ the Lords Prayer & also Psalm 23. Also other Psalms. So wonderful!

    ReplyDelete