Thursday, May 30, 2024

St. Frances of Rome

 I went to school in the Bronx, to St. Frances of Rome on East 236th Street off White Plains Road.  The Woodlawn section of the Bronx.  The “nuns” as we called them had a deep influence on my life.  Some were scary, ok.  But most were not.  What struck me was that they had given up so much for love of God.  They wore those nun clothes in hot weather.  They got no real salary.  They were patient with us brats.  They showed care for us.  They did not seek the things of the world, power, esteem, wealth, much less marriage.  Their God made a big difference in their life.  I have come to realize that any true spiritual growth moves in that direction.  Being lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, is life at a minimal level.  I can easily sink to it.  If you say you have a religion or recovery from addiction, then ask yourself, “Am I lukewarm today?”  Those women religious are history today, but their example can still be lived out in this world.  And it could be you!

1 comment:

  1. Good point. Even the nuns that were odd were still respected.

    ReplyDelete