Saturday, August 31, 2013

Effort

Just because I live at a monastery does not make me a monk.  I have to work at it.  Just because I belong to a gym club does not mean that I am fit.  I have to work at it.  Just because you are a member of a church does not mean you are holy or on the inside track for heaven's gate.  You have to work at it.  You have to go through the narrow gate, not the easy, wide one.  If you don't work at it you will not be strong enough.  Just being a member of the "right" club does not get you any points with God.  Each day, a little prayer, a little reading of the bible or some other uplifting book, a little selfless attitude and action toward those around you, would be the effort.  For some of us busy and/or selfish persons, all this would be a great effort.  You can join a church without God's help, but you cannot get good alone.

2 comments:

  1. The Narrow gate is worrisome. I feel like I do the best that I can but I don't feel worthy of entrance... Especially when I read the above referenced passage. Kind of depressing really.
    - H

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are worthy before the effort. No effort throws away the free gift of entrance. Doing our best says we want more than just to be in.

    ReplyDelete