Thursday, August 29, 2013

Timing

Yesterday, I baled a large field of hay.  The Ranchmeister was not around.  He had to go to town.  I had no supervision, i.e. if the tractor broke down, I would be clueless.  It was predicted to rain later in the day.  So I skipped lunch, which is why I am so skinny, and said prayers to Jesus and Mary to keep the tractor working.  Then I began to bale the field.  The bales came out fine, except a small area that was yet too green.  My machine is smart.  If the hay is not cured, the machine rejects it.  The driver is stupid.  The tractor is smart.  At the very end of several hours, I was finished just as thunder came.  A squal came over the mountain and it began to rain, not enough to ruin the bales, but enough to ruin the hay had it not been baled.  Timing is everything.  Prayer works!  

That night, the downpours came.  I listened with contentment while in my bed.  We were getting rain needed for irrigation, but not one bale of hay was ruined.  I fell asleep in peace and contentment.  This is all it takes for a hay rancher.

1 comment:

  1. Gardening has taught me many spiritual lessons. Looks like ranching can do the same.

    ReplyDelete