Friday, August 9, 2013

Uphill

I run in an area that has lots of hills.  If I run regularly, I find that the hills become easier, but they are still hills.  I cannot say, "Oh, I've been running consistenly for several days.  These hills don't bother me.  I think I will take a few days off."  I cannot store up running, like a bank account.  Give up running for a few days, and those hills get pretty tough again.  It is the same with the spiritual life.  It is always an uphill venture.  We cannot store up prayer and then give it up for a few days.  It is a slippery slope once we start skipping our prayer routines.  People in recovery programs have figured this out.  Being desparate helps to keep one focused.  Be desparate about your spiritual life and you will make it a priority.  I don't have to enjoy every run or prayer exercise on a daily basis, but I have to do it on a daily basis.  Overall, I will be happier, more content and have more peace.  I have found it to be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment