Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My Funeral

I used to worry about who would preach or preside at my funeral, who would come, where would I be buried.  I don't really care now.  When I am dead, I am dead.  I am not there.  Hopefully, I am with sweet Jesus, who is a lot more tolerant and accepting than I am now.  I expect that I will have become a lot more tolerant, accepting and non-judgmental about my body's funeral.  If I want a lot of people at my funeral, timing is everything. Die where I worked and am beloved.  I knew a priest who was a legend in San Francisco.  Had he died there, the church would have been packed and lots of nice things said about him by many people.  But he did not die in San Francisco.  He retired and ended up in New York City, for medical reasons, where he never worked.  Small funeral.  I doubt he cared.  He was with Jesus.  He let go of the temporal.  You go out of respect?  I don't need it when I am dead.  It would be nice while I am still alive though.

4 comments:

  1. We all would like respect when we are alive, or at least acknowledgement that we matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. count me in as an attendee of your living funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Thus I do want to carry on my life through this world, but I do not intend to stay in this dark tent. I journey through streets that lead me home. Since my Father will comfort me beyond all measure". (From Paul Gerhardt, I Am a Guest on Earht")

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of a funeral bring together all my loved ones from varied walks of life and celebrating life. It is not about me--it is about them, those that helped to make my life fulfilling. Pass it on, brother. A funeral should not be sad, unless we fear death.

    ReplyDelete