Monday, July 8, 2019

Honest Starting Point

Though I speak about meditation it is not a steady practice, one day to the next picking up where we left off.  Some people begin meditation with the attitude of getting back to the good feeling they had in yesterday’s meditation.  This is an unrealistic goal.  We need to begin our prayer from where we are.  Honesty is key.  Today is not yesterday.  Yesterday everything might have been going my way and I was at peace and serene.  Today I am feeling resentful, angry and envious all at the same time.  Some incident or person cropped up in my life and this is what I take to my prayer.  It is the starting off point.  I don’t have to wallow in it, but begin with expressing my emotions honestly and openly to God.  Be yourself which at this moment means all these emotions, feelings and judgments.  Sit with them in the Presence of Love.  Let the mediation come rather than jump into your method or posture. We can only become transformed from where we truly are each day.  “Lord, help me!”  Not a bad way to begin.  We are not perfect so don’t try for whatever you think is perfect prayer.  Usually it is getting what you want.  Not much intimacy there.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, the right starting point! Thank you for this gentle and practical reminder. Makes all the difference in the world. Thank you Father Terry!

    ReplyDelete