Friday, July 5, 2019

More Human

I hear people say to me, “I want to become more spiritual.”  What is that?  I think they are trying to say that by praying more or doing more devotional spiritual things they will become better people, closer to some inner tug.  I see this journey as becoming “more human.”  That is, we become more the human being we were made to be.  We release our potential.  Our humanity has the potential to be kind, compassionate, forgiving, selfless, generous, and such.  It is built into us but it is all bottled up by trying to live a life self-propelled by lesser energies usually generated by fear.  My contemplative practice is not so much to make me more spiritual, whatever that is, but to make me more human, that is, all I am meant to be.  Ah, time is running out. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment