Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Subjects And Objects

A person becomes an object when their purpose is to satisfy the selfish agenda of another.  Someone may say they love you, but these are only words.  Watch how they act toward you.  They may say they are doing things that are loving you, but in fact, you get the sense they are more about themselves, their needs and wants.  This may do for a child, but growing up means that people become subjects and not objects.  When you are a subject, you are part of the other person.  Why?  Because they make you the subject of their selfless love.  A parent might know this in relation to their child.  They feel a bonding with the child to the extent that the parent acts selflessly in the relationship.  When you are the subject, the "I" of the other person and your "I" are one.  Objects, from my English classes, are acted upon for the sake of the subject who does the acting.  Love knows no objects.  All are one.  If you don't get this, it might be that you are only an object of the people around you.  They have you in their life to get something they want.  When you stop fulfilling their agenda, they drift off.

1 comment:

  1. Once free of a mentally abusive relationship- one of the best things I learned is this: I would rather be alone and happy, than with someone and miserable. That was a gift of love to myself. I was no longer that person's object and that freedom opened me up for real love. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete