Saturday, July 20, 2019

Runways

A good prayer for someone is when it is a “Runway To God.”  The prayer takes off from where we are and brings us to a connect with God.  So, following a strict method on a daily basis may not be a runway type prayer.  It does not begin where we are, but where we think we want to be to enjoy God.  This prayer is all about feeling good.  It is all about the person who is praying.  I wonder if it is prayer at all.  So where do I start?  I start with some words from my heart.  These words need only to be honest.  Or I start with reading some psalm or short reflection that might help me to get in touch with what sentiment, words, desires I might have at the moment. Maybe I want forgiveness, or to give praise, or just to say hello.  Sometimes I might say I don’t really want to pray now.  After some words or reading, I might just want to sit quietly and be.  Listen.  Be even more present to the present moment.  The 11th Step of recovery programs says, “Prayer and meditation.”  The prayer part is my honest words.  The meditation part is the quiet resting in the stillness.  “Help me God!  My life is a mess,” is a very honest prayer to start one on the runway.

No comments:

Post a Comment