Sunday, October 20, 2019

Control Prayers

Some people pray with formula word prayers or church service prayers and songs/hymns.  They often find great comfort there.  It is their “Prayer Comfort Zone.”  I find in me that such prayers have a subtle form of control.  “If I say or do this, I will get or avoid that,” is how it might go.  So when I try and brooch the subject of “contemplative” prayer, of silence, no focus on words or thoughts, many people become afflicted.  Someone might say that I afflict the comfortable.  They avoid the discomfort by dismissing me and my methods or my talk about union and non-duality.  On the other hand, some people see themselves as undernourished by the prayers and rituals taught to them.  When I introduce meditation they light up with interest.  So there I would be comforting the afflicted.  Overall, I am ignored by many and help a few.  Not to equate myself, but Buddha and Jesus probably could say the same thing.  Except they afflicted many more people than I do.

1 comment:

  1. Rest assured (but not on your laurels) that you comfort many of those afflicted

    ReplyDelete