Monday, October 14, 2019

Recipes

I bake bread.  I follow a recipe each time.  It is sequential, with adding this to that and then to something else.  Wait.  Then do the next step in the recipe.  And so on.  Eventually, I get bread.  It is not always exactly the same, but it is always nourishing and tasty fresh baked bread.  It is the same with recovery or any spiritual process that has some steps or sequence of actions.  Do the first step first, the second step second and so on.  If you follow the recipe for the recovery, you get recovery and it too is very nourishing.  It is not always exactly the same for each person, but it is all recovery.  People who try to “do it on their own” either baking or spiritual growth, usually end up with a bit of a mess.  Or worse, they think the results are fine, and then wonder why no one seems impressed.  I once made bread with sand.  I did not follow the recipe.  My ego said, “I know what I am doing.”  No one would eat the bread.  It was a big mistake.  Had to throw it all out.  I had put a lot of work into doing it the wrong way, my way.  Follow the winners.

1 comment: