Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Humility

Humility is not something you do.  It is rather a basic stance or view of life.  You may do things or not do things because of humility, but the action is not "humbling." Two things would go into humility.  One, the world is not all about you.  Two, you let go of the need to be special or have things focused on you.  When I did the "Mama Mia" theme evening last week of dinner, stories, tap dancing, songs, it was very much focused on me.  I was not being humble.  I loved it.  Maybe I am a bad priest.  But now I can go back to being outside the center of attention.  Return to being unimportant and unnecessary in the lives of others.  I can be helpful, be of service, useful, kind, but not be the center or the focus.  What I try for is to not "need" to be the focus.  On rare occasions I will be the focus and maybe for a good cause.  But if I must be the center of attention, then my life will be filled with disappointments.  At times it is good to be nothing.  I am still loved by friends, and maybe blog readers?  Maybe?

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to (and rely on ) your thoughts. Some I like, some I don't. Loved? Always!

    ReplyDelete