Thursday, October 10, 2019

Our Stuff

Many of us who want to grow spiritually ask, "What do I still lack?"  The reality for many is that "lack" is not the issue.  The issue is "too much" as in too much stuff.  So this young guy, a good person, who keeps all the commandments and laws, comes and asks Jesus what he "lacks."  Jesus, a good wisdom figure, spiritually evolved, says, "Oh you want to be perfect? Get rid of your stuff.  Then follow me."  I meet many Christians who say they follow or want to follow Jesus better.  They ask me what they should do, awaiting some profound answer from me.  I say to many of them, "Check your garage."  In other words, if your car is parked outside in the driveway because you have a garage full of stuff, that could be an issue.  Or it could be your walk in closet, basement, storage bins you rent.  It is tough to be on a spiritual path when you have lots of "stuff" to clutter your life.  I look around my room.  Oops!  Condemned by the Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment