Monday, October 21, 2019

The Rich

I hear some people say that Jesus had a problem with people being rich.  I don't think so.  His issue was with how the rich used their wealth for the community in which they lived.  Some people just have a knack for making money.  Jesus might question a rich person if they made their wealth by cheating others.  He would want to know how they took care of the poor, orphan, widow, lame.  It was the job of the rich to take care of the poor in Jesus' time.  There was no welfare state.  In some developing countries today where there is no government aide, or little of it, those with wealth are to take care of the poor.  They have it in their religious books as a teaching.  In Jesus' time the rich do not question why someone is poor, homeless, lame, without family.  Just help them and don't look for results.  I try and ask myself how I am doing or not doing in this area of my life.  I can be caring or judgmental, ignore or pay attention.  It is not about having some things, but rather how you use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment