Thursday, November 7, 2019

Something New

It is always a good day for me when I learn something new.  I always wonder why the person doing the sign language (ASL) was so close to the speaker.  It seemed distracting to me.  Well, what do I know!  It seems that there are varying degrees of hearing impairment and some deaf people can read lips and SNL.  So they want the SNL person to be close enough to the speaker so that the deaf person can pick up by eye, two different sources of communication.  Duh!  I never did think of that.  Because it is not my issue, I had a very narrow view of hearing impaired communications.  I notice now that when a government official is giving a disaster report, such as about a fire, flood, storm warning, the SNL person is also on the TV screen.  This is so that hearing impaired people, who will be impacted by the issue, will have the best chance to get all the information available in the TV report.  Now, don’t you feel good that you learned something from a narrow-minded person like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment