Wednesday, November 20, 2019

The ER

I took a really bad fall last evening.  I was bringing food-filled trays into the house for the priests and fell down some stairs in the car port.  No one heard my shouts for help.  Food and blood all over the place.  We had next to nothing in the house for wound care.  A parishioner took me by Uber to the Emergency Room at the local hospital.  Fortunately, they were not having a busy night.  I had a Cat Scan for my head and X-ray for my wrist.  One arm was cut from elbow to wrist.  They had to put some kind of skin onto my skin and them wrap my arm all up.  I was quite scared.  No broken bones but a lot of soreness.  My head is OK.  Nice to know that, after all these years.  Since I dropped the dinner for all the priests on the ground, I had no food while in the ER.  For some reason I was not hungry.  I left the hospital walking quite slowly.  I hope by the time you get this, I will be sleeping.  Right now I am grateful.  So when something bad happens, sometimes it could be worse.  No showers for a day or two.  Hoping I am on the mend.  Prayers if you are so inclined.  I have no chocolate in my room.  I am unprepared for trauma.

9 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear that happened to you, Father Ryan. I wish I could have been there to hear you but I am so thankful that one of your parishioners was. I am grateful that you are okay - you mean the world to me. I am sorry that you were scared and am thankful you are safe. You are in my prayers. I will also make sure I have some chocolate on hand to give you the next time I see you at a meeting. Just in case you need an emergency supply. Please take it easy on yourself while you heal. You are in my heart and I appreciate you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were at a noon concert at the Boulder library and happened to meet another couple from the Dunn parish.
    So of course we were wondering how long before the pastor returns. We pray that you will be whole soon and selfishly hope that your return date remains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fr. Terry, Sorry to hear this !!!
    Take time to rest and heal. Hope you get better soon.
    You are in my prayers.

    Anna Gao

    ReplyDelete
  4. I trust your health status will improve with rest and time. I hope that your fellow priests and parishioners will provide you with lots of chocolate for all of its curative properties for body, mind and soul

    ReplyDelete
  5. So how are the other Priests fairing, since they had nothing to eat?! ;-)
    No broken bones - what a lucky Priest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. I know that sometimes the second or third day feels worse than the first day. I too will have some chocolate for you; of course we're praying for a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes, that moment when or brains forget to connect with our extremities. I call that my “Zen stock to the head” that time is taking its toll on me. Mend well and soon. Gail Jones-Bedel

    ReplyDelete