Tuesday, January 7, 2020

A Spiritual Pill

Think of a spiritual path as taking a pill on a daily basis.  Now some pills you have to take with food. The pill works best in combination with something else, food in this case.  A spiritual path pill metaphor should be taken with an open mind and willingness to do the work.  If I simply read some Buddhist scripture to get information or to show how wrong it is, then I am not on that spiritual path. I have no open mindedness and am not willing to do any of the meditations.  So if I am going to read some spiritual path book, I first ask myself, “Am I open minded about what I am about to read?”  Fundamentalists generally are only opened minded to what already agrees with their view.  I call it tribal reading.  Read only what your like minded tribe subscribes as true.  I go into reading something quite different from what I know, believe, think with the attitude, “What can I learn from this wisdom that will help me to expand my horizons, and grow into a better person?”

No comments:

Post a Comment