Sunday, January 19, 2020

Holiness

Some people think that holiness is all about abandoning the world, going off to pray away from the secular.  Perhaps, but it is not my way to holiness.  I need some time each day for stepping away, but I think that holiness is more about living in the world in a way that gives comfort and compassion to those who are suffering within or without.  In my quiet times I often realize my own wounds.  I also can have them brought to the center of my consciousness by gathering with other people who are working on a more spiritual life in the world.  I am much more comforting and compassionate and attentive to others when I am centered and aware that all my growth is grace.  I try to balance my monastic self with my being of service self.  My detractors would rather I just go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment