Friday, January 24, 2020

The Boss

I rarely hear people say, “I used to be Lutheran, or Methodist, or Congregational,” and so on.  Nor do hear people complain about such past denominational connections.  But I do hear Catholics say, “I used to Catholic,” or “I can’t stand the Catholic Church,” or “I am Catholic but I don’t practice.”  Identifying as the non-practicing Catholic is often a way to say your intelligence is no way diminished by such a connection.  So I sense that when you become a Catholic it is such a connection that is hard if not impossible to be rid of.  It is like sacramental duck tape or a spiritual DNA.  I tend to agree with the Boss, “Once you’re a Catholic, you’re always a Catholic.”  You don’t know who the Boss is?  Rock and Roll guy from New Jersey?

1 comment:

  1. As a cradle Catholic I disconnected from the church back in the mid-sixties. I reconnected in the early 1990’s at IC in Knoxville. I found God again in that beautiful old church. I love to tell people I’m a born again Catholic because I chose to remain a Catholic.

    ReplyDelete