Monday, January 20, 2020

Knowing Not Enough

Just to know something of the spiritual is never enough for me.  So I am a searcher, not just a researcher.  I want more than information or dogma or direction.  Information is the easier part.  To search is hard.  I think of the magi, those guys from Persia who traveled all the way from there to Jerusalem, a hard journey, following nothing other than a star.  They knew that a King had been born but they had no experience of the King.  The mind and body were engaged in their journey, but it was not until they encountered the King, that they “saw” as with the inner eye.  This was the mystical moment that is life-changing.  There are many things that we see but our lives are not significantly enough changed.  And there are things that I know exist, but I have no interest in going to see them.  I know Mount Rushmore exists, but I am not interested in that journey.  Maybe there was a time in the past, but it has passed.  The magi did geography, traveling across land, but it was all in the interest of the interior search.  Thus I find myself more into the interior travel.  No frequent flyer miles here.

1 comment:

  1. Love your analogy! I think the older we get the less we want to cross the physical terrain and the more enticing the metaphysical sounds.

    ReplyDelete