Sunday, August 16, 2020

Convenient Is Not A Stretch

I remember when I thought my self a bit "Spiritual."  Someone reminded me that it meant I looked in interesting and convenient places for my spiritual life.  A regular worship schedule, a religion, a spiritual director, were either interesting but not convenient or convenient but not interesting.  I might go to an interesting camping site, woodland hike, or mountain vista where I could drive practically to the top.  Ah, here is God, I might say, but then go home unchanged except for the photo pictures on my camera role.  What saved me was the inconvenient notion that "there is more."  It was not until I got a bit separated from the interesting and convenient, that I began to move out of myself.  Which means what?  I began to surrender, not because I liked it, but because I had run out of options on my merry go round in spiritual dabbling.  A sprinkling of desperation helped.  One does not get onto the road of transformation while fully enjoying a self-imploded, delusional life.  A couple of things I pass on from my path.  Boredom is not all bad.  Enthusiasm passes, but discipline must rarely pass.  You will get what you need, but not what you thought you wanted.  Your imagination and thoughts about "Whoever God" are just stops along the way.  Knowing gets you nowhere important.  Loving is the energy that moves you along the dark path.  

No comments:

Post a Comment