Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Traffic Light Asceticism

I read something about Traffic Light Aceticism in Vincent Pizzuto's writing.  He says something I know all too well.  A yellow light means "go faster."  The asceticism is that instead of thinking about your own agenda of where you are trying to go for what purpose, and your own impatience with traffic or other drivers, you begin to think about others and their safety based upon you slowing down for a stop when you see a yellow light.  It is a way to develop love for the stranger.  It gives me a better connect with others.  The inclination to put my agenda first, before all else, separates me from others.  My choices affect others.  This is a way to set me up to abandon self-preoccupation and be more open to social justice issues, the sufferings of others who may be strangers to me.  This is an asceticism to change you if not someone else.  I have seen people who are very selfish, self-centered, but get involved in "causes" to change the world.  Neither they nor the world changes for the better.  So start small, with your own little world.  "Slow down, you move too fast.  You got to make the morning last! "  Quiz...who did that song? Hint.  It was a male duo and they were childhood friends from NYC.   

2 comments:

  1. I am very selfish, very self-centered, and involved in "causes" to change the world. Before I didn't think that I was so self-centered. Before I thought I was saving the world. Part of me still thinks that. This blog helps me know me better.

    ReplyDelete