Sunday, August 2, 2020

Imposed Limits

A very good friend of mine died recently in a city about 220 miles from where I am now living.  I always thought of being the one to do her funeral.  But Covid has changed a lot of my plans and my sense of identity.  I thought of myself as that priest who would do things for people in ways that other priests might not.  I thought of how I can fit into what you want in terms of weddings, funerals, and baptisms for instance.  Well, I am out of that manner of being a priest in the new coronavirus age.  Just before we all knew how pandemic this Covid thing is, I flew to New York in the dead of winter to do a funeral and burial for the mother of a good friend of mine.  This was me.  The "was" is operative now.  I am a monk in the mountains of Snowmass, Colorado, blogging and zoom teaching.  I don't think I have hugged anyone in over 4 months.  I see none of my city friends.  It bothers me a lot that I cannot be available to do the funerals for friends, but I have learned that acceptance keeps me sane.  

2 comments:

  1. In our instructions for funeral arrangements, my wife and I
    have Fr. Terry Ryan listed as the priest we want to do the graveside rites and a memorial mass. In this time of the virus I now see that as a selfish idea on my part. You will be doing those rites in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that being adaptable, accepting and loving makes each day full of possibilities that I would normally be resistant to. The alcoholic in me tries to intrude at times with fear but my prayer, meditation and gratitude keep me flexible and open to God's plan - one day at a time. I am so thankful for my sobriety and for all I learn from you, Father Ryan. Virtual hugs across the miles! :)

    ReplyDelete