Thursday, August 20, 2020

Waking Up

We often think of ourselves as people who have a physical and a spiritual component.  Greek philosophy referred to it as Body and Soul.  I buy this.  When I first wake up in the morning, it is my body that awakens.  I think about stuff for the day, how I might ache in my bones and muscles, some resentment unresolved, and so on.  My soul, or inner spirit does not wake up with my body.  It wakes up when I meditate, ponder some spiritual readings, open my heart in a prayer of listening.  Then my soul awakes and with it the agenda of my body shifts.  I become less about me and getting my ego wants accomplished, and more about the how and what of my day.  What I want is tempered by what the Presence wants.  So I tend to mediate early rather than later in the day by which time I have messed up running on body energy only.  

1 comment:

  1. I just love this! I love the link between the soul and body waking up at different times to join harmoniously. Now I have another way to see why I get up before everyone else to have my practice! Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete