Monday, July 17, 2023

Bury It

Some of us have rituals, routines, habits, that do nothing but try to bury anxiety.   We do the same routines over and over again, because anxiety does not die.  It simply gets avoided for a while.  So we go to the gym, watch some entertainment, drink, drug, make love, and for a moment we don't "feel" anxious.  Then we do, as anxiety shovels its way back up into our central concern.  So that it does not become all invasive, I tend to note that I have this anxious feeling, and maybe a reason for it, or not, and just take time to rest in silence and solitude, putting the anxiety to one side.  I note my breathing.  Slow down.  Whatever the problem or the anxiety, it will be there later if it needs to be.  Afterwards, I may get a solution, or the anxiety simply went away.  Sometimes, I have found, anxiety is a call to prayer.  Or maybe just make a call to a friend who might be on a spiritual path.  

1 comment:

  1. The gift of being able to recognize what a feeling is, without having to be swallowed by it, has turned into one of my greatest tools. I love this message, thank you Father Ryan. :)

    ReplyDelete