Saturday, July 22, 2023

Grace At Work

People tell me, "I have given up on sacraments.  I don't get anything out of them."  Upon inquiry, I learn that this means the going to Holy Communion in the Catholic experience, does nothing to make them feel good, or appeal to their mental faculties.  I am bemused.  Sacraments don't bother to stop and work on anyone's feelings or mental thoughts.  The body takes communion into itself, feels it, at that level, but then the sacrament immediately goes to where all power to change takes place, the heart.   Heart=deep, beyond thoughts and feelings and imagination.  That communion is about change, deep change, and no one ever had deep change from something they felt or thought.  You read or hear something, and really feel the enthusiasm.  "This will change my life!" you say.  And then it passes and you are still the same mediocre self.  "Feeling it" is a lot safer than transformation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment