Friday, July 28, 2023

My God

 I hear people say, “I have a God of my own understanding.”  Oh yeah?  Such a person is sitting in an office or wherever, preoccupied with something “important” to their ego.  The phone rings or someone knocks on the door, or stands in front of your door, desk, table.  They are not expected.  They want something.  You don’t want to be bothered.  You are preoccupied with important stuff to fill your sense of self.  You dismiss the person, say no abruptly, tell them you have no time.  They fuss but you are adamant.  They go away.  Oh. That was God, in disguise from the one you understand.  God does not have to submit to your god-image.  Anytime you are selfish, self centered and easily dismissive of others’ need, you have no God except the myth of your convenient understanding.  

1 comment:

  1. I think I've run into that unfamiliar God on the telephone more often than standing in front of me asking for something: I'm the one asking for help, but tired of waiting for that poor soul working in the call center to answer after I've been on interminable hold. When that person FINALLY answers.....remember, you are talking to God!

    ReplyDelete