Thursday, July 28, 2011

Investment

Prayer is an investment in myself. When I take a walk, read a book for enjoyment, sit in silence and solitude, I am investing in me. I am worth the investment. Things that I have to do each day are not an investment in myself. Stay clean, work, cook, shop for groceries, and such are not investments in myself.

God does not demand prayer. God waits. God loves, but does not demand. The desire to respond to God, to pray, must come from a love of Self, my deepest, truest Self. Lots of people say they love God, but their prayer is more often a routine, sometimes done out of need for something from God, or even guilt. No, I have to love myself enough, to choose to spend time with the God of Love, for no other reason than it is a pleasure. Sometimes it may be boring, but then I make a decision that I am worth the effort, at least to put the time aside to be in the silence regardless of what noise my mind makes.
If my whole day is filled with things that I have to do, or think that I have to do, then I am not living a life that is being very good to me. No investment in me is made on those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment