Saturday, February 21, 2015

A. J. Muste

I just read about this fellow, A. J. Muste who was a peace advocate.  He died in 1967.  He did these vigils outside businesses that seemed to make a living on war related stuff.  Someone asked him why he did it.  I guess the questioner thought it was a fruitless attempt to change the world.  Muste gave this answer. "I don't do it to change the world.  I do it so that the world does not change me."  I love that quote.  Whenever I think I am wasting my time or there are no results in what I do that I can see, I might ask myself what I would be like if I did nothing.  When I don't pray, when I ignore being useful, when I stop the search, change is happening.  It is a change in me and it is not so good.

1 comment:

  1. That is a wonderful observation. So many times when I do things I don't want to do, it's because I feel the need to live up to who I believe myself to be.

    ReplyDelete