Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Small Weddings

There was a time when a Catholic church wedding did not cost much.  The priest got a tip of a few bucks, maybe.  As a server I might get all of $5.00 for being the altar boy.  The musician, if there ever was one, might get a little or was paid by the parish.  The use of the church was free.  Marriage prep with the priest was free of charge.  Then my church decided to get in on the action.  Charge for the use of the church, the priest and the music.  Charge for marriage preparation classes.  Churches made some money for sure, but then something else happened.  Couples gave up on big weddings, including church ones.  We have fewer weddings today than in the past.  Brides are not so much interested in walking down the aisle with people looking at them in their expensive bridal gown.  It is not just about some loss of faith or church interest.  It is a lot about $$$.  God's grace is not controled by how much you spend on a ceremony, be it church or otherwise.  Grace is free.  God does not charge.  The price you pay is in the way you love over the years.  For that we all need grace, free of charge.  

4 comments:

  1. When I wanted to get married in the church, the priest insisted that we take a computerized test. Without qualifications, he would determine our fitness for marriage. Maybe they were trying to up the pride of having a Catholic Wedding. Who knows. The idea stunk and later the marriage too. I hope someday the church will embrace people instead of qualifying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually the test is supposed to help you to have a better marriage, not to qualify you. Be surprised what couples find out about each other from these tests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fr. Terry, My epiphany came when I acknowledged that God's Grace had found me. All my good fortune, family, friends, career etc was not me or good luck but in fact God's grace. It has changed my outlook in a very positive way. I only needed to discover and acknowledge it; The Good News

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate small weddings. They are meant to be only for couple, family and close friends. The biggest advantage of small weddings is that they are hassle free. At one of nice NYC wedding venues I would also have intimate ceremony. I am so excited for my big day!

    ReplyDelete