Monday, February 2, 2015

Just Enough

I try to stay in Boulder long enough so that when I leave people will really miss me, but I don't stay so long that people get bored with me when I say the same old stuff all the time.  My problem is that I am shallow.  I know one or two things but not in so great a depth that I am profound.  If I stay too long people will catch on that I am a pleasant, approachable, but lightweight priest.  This is why my parish missions go so well.  I am really good for a few talks.  I tell stories and make a few points.  Then just as people want me to stay longer or come back, I leave.  I am really helpful, given my shortcomings.  We all have to do the best with what we have, and not bemoan what we do not have.  I have learned to make the best with my little.

4 comments:

  1. Knowing what the best in us that we have and knowing how to use "this best". That is a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still confused why you recommended the book Zealot. The author did what he said the Bible men did. Make assumptions about facts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He gives another perspective on "facts."

    ReplyDelete