Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Best Kept Secret

I am the best kept secret in Vero Beach, Florida.  I came here to teach and help out in a local parish.  Another priest, retired from the Brooklyn diocese, bought a house here to winter.  He showed up to help the same weekend I began.  His name is Fr. Danny Murphy.  After our first weekend here, people came up to me before mass and said, "Hello, Fr Murphy.  We are so glad that you are here."  They told me how much they admired the short homilies and the humor.  They asked about Brooklyn.  "What about me?"  I thought.  I told Fr. Danny Murphy all the nice things being said to me about him by people who thought I was him.  I waited for him to say the people told him nice things about me.  Nothing!  Silence!  Then I remembered that Jesus had told a leper he healed to say nothing about Jesus.  Why?  Because only the outside wounds had been healed on the leper.  There were soul scars that needed some work.  Maybe God wants me to stay unnoticed until I do more inner work.  When nobody notices you, instead of getting upset, work on your own inner self.  The best recognition is when it comes from our inner work.

1 comment:

  1. Focusing on what people think of you is ego. Focusing on what loving action you take is enlightenment (truth, intellect, universal consciousness, God...).

    ReplyDelete