Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Self

Self-centeredness can creep even into our prayer life.  Ask yourself if you spend most of your prayer energy/time wanting something from God?  Since I suffer from creeping self-implosion, I try to spend some time each day in meditation.  There I am not asking for stuff for me or for others that will make me feel better.  It is important that I just be with  God.  Come to think of it, a friendship blossoms when we can spend time with someone without asking for something, trying to get something, or trying to be interesting, important or whatever.  If I enjoy someone I can enjoy them without talking.  Nor do they have to talk.  I enjoy just being with.  Be friends with God.  Don't try so hard.  Besides, God knows what you want, and more important, what you need.  Most of us only know what we want.

2 comments:

  1. "I suffer from creeping self-implosion" might be my new favorite phrase in the English language. You and me both, Father.

    And I do need to quit trying so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my first prayer is always one of gratitude

    ReplyDelete