Monday, December 21, 2015

Butch McGuire's

I was back in Chicago recently.  I had lived there as a bachelor in 1967-69 with my first job right out of MBA school.  I showed my two sisters where I had lived.  The apartment building is still there, 33 East Cedar Street, but it is now condos and not apartments, with an improved decor lobby.  My sister were surprised that I lived in such a nice, upscale neighborhood.  I guess they see me as a poor priest.  Then I took them three blocks to a bar I used to visit frequently, Butch McGuire's.  It is still there. Though it was early morning, the bar was open and they let us in.  I told them I was an alumnus!  Some of the same decor is still there, but it has expanded to become a place where families can eat breakfast, and still have a pint.  My sisters took a picture of me inside, sober.  Both the bar and I have changed.  Alleluia!  If I had all the money I spent there, I could have purchased one of those condos.  But don't you like me better as a poor priest?

3 comments:

  1. We will not regret the past...
    After all, it made us what we are today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be a traveler not a stay in a condo kind of person. When I bought a nice condo, my mother said and nobody is here during the day. I guess I could have rented it out. Better to be employed by the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may be poor monetarily but you are wealthy spiritually. And you are so kind to share your spirituality with us!

    ReplyDelete