Friday, December 18, 2015

Common Space

We have begun to lose the sense of sharing a common space.  I first saw this with the transistor radio in the 1950s.  Some people would walk around in common space with the radio blaring out whatever, as if they were in their own room or home.  Ear plugs helped to end that somewhat.  Now I find the same problem with other gadgets.  People use common space that we all share, as if it is their private office or room.  They carry on business or personal conversations in libraries, terminals, airplane and public transportation.  Wherever they are is their office, when in fact it is not.  It is common space and their is too little of it.  It needs to be shared with others who might be reading, thinking, meditating or even carrying on a one on one conversation with a real person in front of them.  This is the season for sharing.  Many people go out and get gifts for others.  The gift I would like and therefore try to give, is quiet in public places, if not talking to a real person in front of me.  My cell phone has an auto message that says, "I cannot talk to you now."  End of call.  I put my phone on buzz all the time.  It is a way of sharing something that is more and more rare.  Quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment