Sunday, December 20, 2015

Small

When we are challenged to share such things as common space with others (two blogs ago) we sometimes think this  a great loss of our space to do as we want, when we want.  Why is having less seen as some loss or sacrifice?  Cannot having a little be a blessing, and even beautiful?  There was a book once, "Small Is Beautiful," that had this vision.  Why is a big house better than a smaller one, or a big smart phone better than a simpler little phone?  I am hearing about young people just out of college or whatever schooling, who are opting for small rather than larger, less rather than more, and do not see it as something forced upon them by big debt.  They have less expensive cell phones, smaller apartments and less stuff.  Many do not bother to buy a car.  We church people decry them for not going to church, but praise the suburban church going family with big cars, big homes, big consumption of energy, and lots of stuff stored in various places of ownership.  In suburbia, small is to be pitied.  The economy likes the spender.  Did you get or give a lot of presents this Christmas?  As a child I always liked a bigger pile of gifts.  When I finally grow up, smaller will be fine.

1 comment:

  1. You are inspiring! Each day I remind myself that I have all I NEED (and a bit more), and offer Thanks!

    ReplyDelete