Sunday, December 13, 2015

Spiritual Not religious

I suspect all religions of dogma, writings, rules and rituals began as a spiritual way of being, seeing and living in this world.  Jesus did not do more than write in the ground once.  I don't know of any writings of Buddha.  But how do these spiritual paths get transmitted by mere followers over a period of time?  They become a religion.  This means that all religion has within it the core of its spirituality.  Some teachers, who have experienced this center, try to transmit it through the religion.  I often hear in our post-modern world, "I am spiritual but not religious."  The dilemma for religion is to make the connection, the spiritual with the religion.  An alternative is to fill our worship spaces with people who are "religious but not spiritual."  I think that there is plenty of holiness in people who worship and pray in communal settings.  The laity keep religion going.  But that spiritual center is so elusive.  I know my catechism.  I seek to know God, the Unknowable.  Silence, stillness, solitude.  These are verbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment