Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Spiritual Winters

There is a difference between complacency and humility when we are in one of our spiritual winters, as Caryll Houslander would say.  Complacency says that when we are messing up, we might as well continue to mess up because we cannot change.  This is acceptance that fosters continual bad behavior.  On the other hand, humility agrees that we cannot change.  In each case we have self-knowledge.  We cannot change.  But humility says that we can be changed by some outside or inside help, of the spiritual variety.  I call it the "Sacred Enoughness."  There is enough of that power and not enough of my power.  I will never be the enoughness I need.  But I do have my days of grand illusion.  Such days are never good for me nor others around me.  I try to keep them few and far between.

1 comment:

  1. The seasonal winter brings on my spiritual winter - I like the concept that the "Sacred Enoughness" has the power I need to change. The trick is avoiding the days of grand illusion.

    ReplyDelete